Growing Herbs, Fruit & Vegetables in a Warm Climate.

24 Chapter Ebook $10.00

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rustic style Ciabatter Bread + Goodbye Tropics

My family and i are leaving Cairns for Melbourne mid January 2011. It's really hard to leave a garden and the knowledge I've built up over the years and head to Melbourne. My daughter has a violin scholarship with the conservatory music school and we've after much thought and deliberation decided to accept it.
I do hope to continue with my back yard food project in a different climate in Melbourne. After all the principals are much the same and the conditions are maybe a little easier to grow. I am looking forward to growing asparagus and cabbage.
I'd like to thank all those people who have followed my blog and urban farmer column with the Cairns Post, and there is a chance I'll be back this way in the future, though I'd say I'll be going to a less hot and steamy part of this region.
As a parting note I'd like to pass on this bread recipe I've developed through trial and error over the years that is just fantastic and ever body loves, use as a base for different sweet and savoury bread be adding different ingredients.

The night before you go to bed in a bread making machine add 2 large cups of flour and 1&1/2 cups of water and a tea spoon of yeast mix together and leave overnight.
Overnight the yeast will increase in numbers 10 times and enzymes will release nutrient and flavour from the flour giving your bread a depth of flavor that can only be achieved with time.

In the morning add another 1&1/2 cups of flour and 2 teaspoons of salt and a dash of olive oil and knead in the machine for 8 min - this is a much wetter mixture than your normal bread - when it's kneading check to make sure the dough is smooth at the top if still a bit lumping and wet looking just sprinkle more flour in and it will start to smooth.

While the machine is still running pluck the wet dough out and place in a greased bowel - by doing it when the machine is still running you'll save a lot of wastage as the dough has no time to stick to the machine as it does if you stop it.

Leave the dough to double in size which will be about 1 to 2 hours depending on the room temperature.
Tip out onto a well floured table and stretch out  with you hands to about 30cm thickness - this is important to develop more the protein and lead to those big holes in the bread. I then just cut into squares and round the corners as I put onto a baking tray. Place in a preheated oven on 250 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes then turn oven down to 200 for a final 20 minutes.
That's it, rustic style ciabatter bread.

1 comment:

LinaC said...

Thank you for guidelines! Sorry, you are leaving, hope you didn't meet Yasi, I am from Northern Queensland and was looking for some gardening tips. Anyway, all the best for you and your fa,ily for your next destination.