Growing Herbs, Fruit & Vegetables in a Warm Climate.

24 Chapter Ebook $10.00

Friday, May 22, 2009

Time To Grow


It's come to the season in Cairns when just about anything you want to grow will grow.
My garden has been humming along nicely after all that rain.
I've also expanded into the front realizing the potential for more space that it offer's. The photo shows a shot of my backyard, I'll take you through what I've go growing. In the forgroung bed on the left It's zuccini it has come out of the bed and it's heading up to the bed behind it. I've also got some cos lettuce toward the back having just harvested some last week.
The bed has just been established this year and the soil hasn't been built up as yet so is probably lacking in nutients - I'm sticking to my policy of only using what waste from the kitchen and the bedding I get from the chooks - and whatever other waste I can get for my compost - it won't take long before it's buit up like the other beds.
The front right bed and climbing on the fence is cucumber - it's been a great success this year and very prolific - it's a prime example of home grown tastes much better.
Toward the back left I have mignonette lettuce a great lettuce for the winter in the tropics - there is also a row of cos lettuce and pak choy.
The bed to the right has capsicum - which was slow to get going this year but finally going. I also have some Japanese vegetables like white radish and karashi + pak choy.
The bed to the back of that with the sun just hitting it is full of tomatoes - Ive been harvesting now for a couple of weeks. All the tomatoes came up from the worm castings I put on the beds in Febuary.
Just to the back of that I have more cucumbers as me wife uses a lot in her sushi catering and this is the long thin variety, very crisp and soothing.
There is also some basil in there.
Around the corner is egg plant my grafted black beauty flowrering nicely(see previous posts) Around further I have dwarf banannas, ginger, lemon grass, paw paw and japticata amongst others. All powered by kitchen waste, palm fronds and chook poo.
Always on the look out for gardeners in Cairns who would like to share their knowlege so let me know if you'd like to be on back yard food or know of anyone.

No comments: